RA

Surviving disease

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Dependence


I was 16 years old.

What do 16-year olds do? We drive. We hang out with our friends. We go to concerts. We wreak havoc on our parent’s minds. We sleep late because we are up late. We get in trouble. We have fun. We live to be free. Independent.

I was 16 years old.

What did I do? I drove to the doctor. My friends visited me after surgery. I listen to Pandora on bed rest. I cause concern in my parents. I sleep late because I was up late. I was up late because my medicine causes insomnia. I have flares. I get fatigued. I hope to be without pain. I hope to be a little independent.

Birthdays roll by…17…18…19...and here I am. This is a list of things I often have to ask someone to help me do, that I used to be able to do all by myself:

  •       Pick up anything heavier than a large bowl of cereal.
  •       Open a lid or cap of any kind.
  •       Pour myself a glass of milk, or water, or tea from a pitcher.
  •       Anything involving the use of nimble fingers.
  •       Zip up a dress.
  •       Use a clasp on a necklace.
  •       Braid my hair in the back.
  •       Grip anything larger than a shoebox.
  •       Reach something above my height (I can’t go on my tip toes).
  •       Open the childproof cap on my medications.


In two months, I will be moving into the housing at the University of Washington (an apartment). This means I will be completely in charge of any chores, cooking, cleaning, shopping, and schoolwork that needs to be done. Yes, I am wonderfully excited to grow up and get to be a “big girl.” Yet at the same time I am fretting about living without my mom. She keeps me on track with my disease; always making sure I am taking my meds, filling prescriptions, getting injections delivered on time, scheduling appointments, making sure I have blood work done, and making sure I make it to the appointments. It’s glorious (and relieving) to know that she is there to take care of me, even though I usually manage all those tasks on my own. I guess I am just reassured knowing that she has my back in case I completely space something—she is my mom after all.

I didn’t realize how dependent I was on the people around me until we really started to discuss my moving away from home. Before college and my disease came up, I never thought twice about living away from home. Now, with my disease in full swing I admit that the thought of living even a few hours away from home is nerve-racking. So many things can go wrong. I have to find a new pharmacy, new doctors, and new resources in a place I am completely unfamiliar with. I am hoping that the University of Washington medical center will provide some assistance. At least I have a top-rated medical facility nearby.

I don’t like having to be dependent on others. In fact a rather hate it—most people do. While I was on bed rest (twice) after surgery, every little thing had to be done for me. Anything I needed or wanted had to be brought to me because I couldn’t get up and walk. It was nice the first couple days to having every need tended to, but then it just got annoying, and I felt like I was annoying everyone with my needs. Some day in the future I may be like that all the time. Completely dependent. If I can’t get this disease controlled I could very easily end up with a walker, a wheelchair, or worse. I don’t want to be the person who is completely broken at age 35. I don’t want to become dependent before I even have a chance to be independent. It is wonderful that I have so many people around me who are willing to help. I am lucky, fortunate, and extremely appreciative for all they have done and continue to do for me. However, at the same time I wish it didn’t have to be like this. I wish I could do it all by myself, but I know that won’t happen. Learning to accept someone’s help is unpredictably challenging. Having to relinquish control is not something that comes natural. I am having to teach myself that it is okay to request assistance, and isn’t something I should be embarrassed by. For people with a disease like mine, there should be no shame in needing the continuous support of people who love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment